Key verse: O Lord, the great and awesome God, who keeps his covenant of love with all who love him and obey his commands, we have sinned and done wrong. We have been wicked and have rebelled; we have turned away from your commands and laws. (Daniel 9:4-5)
Read: Daniel 9:1-19
1. According to verse 2, what specifically did Daniel glean from the scriptures?
2. What actions do you think Daniel was motivated to take after seeing God's plan for the future?
3. What did Daniel do in response to the alarming news (verse 3)?
4. In light of verse 3, how would you describe Daniel's prayer life?
5. Why do you think Daniel made no distinction between his own sins and the sins of his people (verse 7-9)?
6. What happens when we thumb our noses at God's commands and reject the advice of people who tell us the truth (verse 11)? Have you ever experienced this personally?
7. Based on verse 13, how would you define repentance?
8. What would it mean for the people to give attention to God's truth?
9. Why do you think Daniel chose to put himself in the same boat as the rest of the people?
Goals for growth:
* Eliminate the habit of blaming others.
* Energetically pursue repentance and confession when needed.
* Immediately apply God's revealed truth to my words and deeds.
Study guide used: Being God's man...by standing firm under pressure. (Stephen Arterburn, Kenny Luck & Todd Wendorff)