Not Budging - Staying Loyal to God by Setting and Maintaining Boundaries
Scriptural Background Daniel 1
Key Verse: Daniel 1:8 Daniel resolved not to defile himself with the royal food and wine, and he asked the chief for permission not to defile himself this way.
- Be Daniel for a moment. Why do you feel compelled to set a boundary with the food you’re offered (verse 8)? How would eating the king’s food compromise your faith?
- If Daniel has wanted to indulge himself, what excuse or rationalization could he have used?
- After Daniel presented his request to the king’s official, how did God show him that He was at work in the situation (verse 9)?
- How did Daniel respond when his request came under fire?
- What does Daniel’s response to the official tell us about Daniel, his faith, and his confidence in God?
- At the end of the ten-day trial period, how did God show His favor toward Daniel for taking this radical step of faith (verse 15)?
- What do you think God thought of Daniel’s initiative in this situation?
- What impact do you think Daniel’s boldness had on the official in charge of Daniel and his friends?
- Based on verses 18-20, what did Daniel learn form this experience about setting solid, godly boundaries in a hostile environment?
- What do you learn from Daniel’s example in this passage about not compromising under pressure?
CALL TO ACTION
In what primary area of your life are you tempted to compromise?
What boundaries do you need to set for yourself in that area as soon as possible?
To whom will you give permission to ask how you’re doing in this area on an ongoing basis?
James Williams: We can learn from Daniel’s example that by being obedient to the Lord we can thrive and be a witness even in wicked environments. Even if you find yourself in difficult situations, you maybe God’s avenue to bring about a godly change in those situatiaons.
Michael Corks: I hope you enjoyed our show, but more importantly I hope you learned from it! During this coming week I encourage you to start applying some of those tips we gave you on staying strong under pressure. What helped Daniel stay strong was his love for the Lord and the fact that he had his boundaries set ahead of time. Having your rules established beforehand makes them easier to stay committed to them.
Content derived from: S. Arterburn, K. Luck & T.Wendorff (2004). being God’s man…by standing firm under pressure.